As a Bioprocess Engineer, you will support the activities in the field of life support technology. This includes projects in the production of water, food, and oxygen from recycled materials and in-situ resources (extracted from planetary ground or atmosphere). Your tasks will include:
- Conceptual design of process flows to produce drinking water, oxygen, and food from recycled materials or in-situ resources (process flow diagrams).
- Detailed design and engineering of laboratory and pilot scale demonstrators (process & piping diagrams).
- Support the design by mathematical modelling to create a virtual plant model for the simulation of selected processes .
- Define the key manipulated variables of the process and define control strategies.
- Translate the design in a development plan, prepare a functional description, and identify the requirements for equipment.
- Coordinate the purchase/manufacturing/assembly of the equipment in cooperation with the system, mechanical and electrical engineering teams and suppliers/contractors.
- Define a test and evaluation plan with associated procedures.
- Evaluation of process performances based on laboratory and pilot scale tests (process ‘capability’ and ‘performance’ parameters).
- Prepare technical documentation, manuals, test reports, results presentations, minutes of meetings…
- Prepare operational scenarios and roadmaps for future space application of processes.
- Adapt selected technology to the space environment (radiation, reduced gravity, vacuum…)
- Translate phase A/0 concepts to requirements for future space technology development (phase B/C/D)
Our client, one of the largest and most respected global science and technology organisations, needs a BioProcess Engineer for the site in Belgium. They are constantly breaking new grounds in the application of cutting-edge technology in the space sector delivering pioneering solutions and successfully transferring their expertise into pushing the boundaries of space
- MSc or PhD in the field of bioscience engineering (environmental engineering, chemistry and food technology, bioprocess simulation and control, cell biology, biochemical or biomedical…)
- Familiar with key microbiological, chemical, and physical processes for water treatment and (waste) material processing, including:
- Microbial dynamics and growth kinetics.
- Biological and chemical oxidation-reduction processes, bio-electrochemical processes.
- Water chemistry.
- Reactor/fermenter technology.
- Liquid/gas equilibria and transfer processes.
- Solids separation and transport processes.
- Membrane technology.
- Affinity for process design and automation supported by mathematical modelling of involved processes
- Affinity with laboratory procedures and pilot scale testing for validation of processes.
- Familiar with instruments and sensors to measure process parameters.
- Familiar with disinfection and sterilisation technology and evaluation methods.
- Knowledge of biological and chemical material compatibility.
- Awareness of specific space conditions such as radiation, vacuum, reduced gravity and their effect on process performance is an asset.
- Awareness of electro-mechanical design is an asset.
- Enthusiastic, result-oriented, and fast-learning team player with good communication skills at all levels.
- Fluency in English is a must, fluency in Dutch and/or French is a plus.
- The leading-edge technological aspects and variety of tasks makes working at our client an exciting challenge.
- You will get a unique opportunity to fully develop your talent, your career and prove yourself in one of the top high technological space companies in Flanders.
- You will work in an expanding international company with a flexible working atmosphere and awareness on a proper work-life balance.
- A challenging and exciting opportunity in a multidisciplinary team of enthusiastic and inspiring colleagues is waiting for you.
Solliciteer voor deze vacature. Wij nemen zo snel
mogelijk contact met je op.